Nuffnang

You are Brat's Visitor Number

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A dedication...

I've met a lot of wonderful people along the way. This is just another group of them. But the special thing about these awesome people is that they gave a me a wonderful memory to bring with me throughout my life.

Sunil, Marcus, Me, Crystal and Tham

When I signed up as a volunteer for YES2009, I never thought I'd be assigned with the hotel team. The one that chose me to be there was Mai Amante

Sweet, sweet Mai. She's a Philippine, currently on a one year contract with Youth Asia. She said that she personally chose us to be on the team. At first, I felt quite disappointed since this team was my third choice. But as I learned of the jobs, and I met the people working along with me, I was very much thankful to her. I don't know what made her to chose me, but because she did, I sincerely love her for that :) The fact that she's nice, sweet and pretty is totally a bonus for me. I can't help being enchanted by her. She's lovely, she's lively, she's just... Mai. I loved chatting with her. She makes people feel comfortable. I wish her a successful and happy life. I can't wait to see her wedding pictures :)


The guys that made my days at the PICC an interesting one, Tham, Sunil and Marcus. Somehow they got me through the securities and we ended up enjoying our time at the 'Media' section. There's less traffic, more food and fewer stairs. Lols. If I hadn't been tagging along with them, I would most probably feel ultimately lost.

Sunil, Tham and Marcus

The first of these guys that I met was Tham. When I arrived at the hotel, he was already there... Looking as lost as I was. Without waiting for the others, we started the ice breaking ourselves.

He was... well for the most part charming - as he puts it. The very first impression he gave me was just of a highly intellectual guy. He had an interesting interest towards aqua marine, and he took it as his major. I find it intriguing to actually meet a Youth that actually really cares about the environment. The fact that he's working on doing something about it is another bonus. He's good with digital stuff. He handled the name listing for registration efficiently. Then, I found out he's actually a freelance photographer - I should have guessed so from the expensive camera he carries. I've seen his pictures - I love it and I totally hate him (in a jealous kind of way). I've always wanted to take good pictures. I have soooo much more to learn.

What is most unexpected to me was actually his extrovert-ness. The first day I met him, he only speaks when ask, and only talks about serious matters. Gave me an illusion of an elderly business-like gentleman. hoho... It's not bad, but for a youth, it's kind of boring. And he proved me I was never much more wrong. The first day of the summit, which would be the third day we met, he was making me laugh endlessly. We were definitely shooting arrows at each other, picking on a fight and teasing but nevertheless, it was a fight I immensely enjoyed.

Tham's supposedly most 'charming' smile LOLs

Marcus and Sunil appeared before me at the same time. The first one that caught my attention was Sunil. His bandaged hands are definitely hard to miss.

We clicked off as soon as we started talking - well, at least to me. His story of his little accident and probably the way he tells the story made me laugh. And I definitely starts to favor him for his response to my age. He said "uhmm, old". He says it so nonchalantly that its hard to miss the teasing. That scores him a point in my book of favoritism. (LOLs)

Sunil was most probably the most gentlemanly guy among the guys. Even injured, he would offer himself to pick up things for the ladies. He speaks with respect to others, paying attention to the gender and race. He teases people, but just enough to make people feel extremely comfortable with him. And it's a bonus that he's cute. His reactions and demeanor are cute as well. His injured hands limits some of his actions. I noticed that he never ask for help. He'd do it himself, but he looks so pitiful that I can't stop myself from helping him. Is it male ego? I don't know, but in this case, it makes him look adorable (it's a compliment, so don't sweat a guy being called adorable).


It's a pity I only get to spend such a small amount of time with him. I know he has a lot more to offer, a lot more depth than what meets the eye. Although he appears to be easy-going, he has the heart of gold, and a mind of silver.


Marcus, the first thing you'd notice about him is his good sense of style. He always appears pleasing to the eyes, never look unkempt. Had I not asked, I wouldn't have guessed he's 19. His demeanor so mature and out of these three guys, he seems like the responsible one.

Even from behind, Marcus looks good. The camera loves him

Probably because he's younger, it's easy for me to approach him and tease him. But, teasing him is not that much fun since he's so composed. - that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to have fun. In fact, he was as crazy as the other two - only he did those crazy thing in such a composed manner that you wouldn't notice it was crazy if you didn't look properly. haha.

The responsible Marcus - doing work even during lunch.

For a young person, he gives a strong vibe of leadership. He makes people feel secure, and trust him - a very bad quality if the person is a 'snake'. But in his case, I'll take a vote and vouch for him. I may not know much about him, but I think any girl would be lucky to call this guy hers. :)

I was lucky enough to get a picture with him :)

The next person, my three night roommate, Crystal. I just noticed I didn't have any pictures just with the two of us since she's so very elusive.

Crystal and a Thailand delegate

For some reason, u have the feeling that Crystal is not just what she seems either. She's full of secrets and I can't quite grasp her way of thinking. I think I'm too old to understand a 16-years old girl thoughts. LOLs. But, this girl is full of energy. She's enthusiastic in whatever task she's given. She's friendly to all, and always willing to help. She's full of questions, and willing to learn - which is very good for someone in that age. Like the others, she too gives a person a comfortable feeling and a sense of belonging. She might be younger that the rest of us, but through out the summit, it doesn't feel that way at all. Meaning she adapts just nicely with the others.

Another thing I can't miss about Crystal is the leadership quality in her. She can make her own decision and she thinks like any leader would. Given time and experience, she'd be an awesome leader. Right now, she might be a bit rough around the edges, a bit rushed and too haste, but in the future, I'm sure she'll be someone very successful. Oh, did I mention that I think she's pretty? It's a shame she's so elusive towards the camera.


He joined us a day later than the rest. But, he's an equally interesting being as the rest. Loh Kim Choon. I told him I like his name, but instead he hates it. Ironic. Lately he's saying to call him Kimmy (coined by a Philippine girl) but before, he was thinking of using Lucius as his English name (which I think matches his personality).

When I first saw Loh, I thought he was younger, around 19. I was mistaken - he's 21. the same as Sunil and Tham. Now that I look back, I wonder why I thought that. He doesn't actually look young but... I don't know... :p Working with him, what I can say about him is that he's reliable. Although I don't spend as much time with him as I did with the other four, he's actually my favorite. Most probably because I shared most of my task with him, and I find it very easy to work along with him. Not only that he's easy to work with, I feel that his thinking works at the same 'wavelength' with me. Meaning we don't really have to say much to understand each other - which was super awesome. (Well, at least to me)


Of course, my feeling on that just works on the surface level. haha.. I'm not as intellectual or as into entrepreneurship as he is. But, on a social level, we get along just nice. Loh, had interesting ideas and opinions. When we chat, I find myself enjoying the chat and being completely at ease. He was the reason that I am currently using too much of the word 'awesome'. I was teasing him and now, I'm stuck with the word. LOLs. Loh had a very good communication skill - he knows how to flirt but not come out as a pervert. A highly helpful skill. hehe XD


These awesome people are all special in their own way. I wouldn't have trade them with any other.
Tham, Sunil, Loh, Marcus, Me, and Crystal

Being the only Muslim and Malay among them, I did not even once feel alienated or prejudiced. It's almost like the difference doesn't exist at all. Being the oldest among them also didn't affect anything. It's the wondrous human power to adapt. It's either they are mature for their age or I'm just still too childish at heart for mine. Well, I'll vouch for the later since I still feel like a brat - although one with opinions :)

-Nana Eddy-

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

'Click'aty Clackaty Cloock. Click!!